|25th February, 2024 - GameEx Android and :Linux
I've made good strides on the Android and Linux versions of GameEx.
You can try them and follow the progress here.
|18th February, 2024 - GameEx 18.58
- Updated to latest .net 6 desktop runtime but still the only regularly updated front end tthat supports Windows XP too other than RetroArch.>
- Removed a little fat from the GameEx executables.
- Forgot to mention in the previous releaase but the TMDB API is working again and the Movie database within GameEx now supports your online streamed videos. It should build up quite nicely now.
- If you receive false positives with Windows Defender, I have resolved this with Microsoft and you just need to update to the latest Windows Defender definitions.
|14th February, 2024 - GameEx 18.57 - IPTV
I brought the TV functionality in GameEx up to this decade, removed the legacy stuff and it can now act as an IPTV client, supporting M3U plus, XMLTV, Xsream and VOD. It's very simple to configure and supports up to 20 playlists.
With this I also improved the http video streaming.
In addition I resolved several minor bugs and resolved a few exceptions that were being swallowed.
|2nd February, 2024 - GameEx Multiplatform (Unity) Alpha
This is something I started in 2020. I have not made much progress until recently but now have the Windows x64 version nearly completed.
It originally started as a separate project but now it uses the same code base.
Please consider an alpha version at this point just for feedback and testing. If you are new here please use the other GameEx installs.
The benefits of the multiplatform version:
- Few or no external dependencies. Just Unity/Mono.
- Eventually versions for other platforms such as Linux and Android.
- Setup will be web based leveraging GameEx online,
- Everything uses the same code base. All versions get updates.
- There is video support but no MKV support just yet.
- Will be missing some features but both Arcade and regular GameEx will be supported.
Extract to a location with write access. Then run one of three executables.
|3rd December, 2023 - GameEx 18.55
Looking to remove any possible video or input lag GameEx will now lower its process prioirty to idle after launching an emulator.
Fixes to the sync refresh MAME display feature. I revisited all this and looked at GroovyMAME usage on an LCD. It will work with GroovyMAME but on a 5 year old mini PC I reverted to vanilla MAME in my new Chewlix build, I incestigated all this again and other than going with a Mister, your best bet in 2024 is to go for a G Sync monitor for MAME for no tearing and input lag on an flat panel.
In MAME attract mode the bezel will try to show the logo first if available rather than marquee. Looks mich nicer.
|17th November, 2023 - GameEx 18.54
Video downloads for Steam working again.
|15th November, 2023 - GameEx 18.53
- New auto configuration ArcadePC TeknoParrot support.
- Fixes to dialog box and auto update.
|21st April, 2023 - GameEx 18.50
The .net 6 and .net 4 (XP and 32 bit) installers have been combined into a single installer. There is now just one download. This makes it easier and quicker for me to do releases and avoids confusion. To force the .net 4 install on 64 bit Windows 7 or newer set the compatibility to Windows XP or Vista.
Updated all VC runtimes to latest versions so they don't require windows updates or create surplus temporary files.
Updated .net 6 runtime to latest.
|14th April, 2023 - GameEx 18.40
- New emulator marquee art support. Note for the few using the monitor marquee support this path is now used instead of logos.
- Completely removed all dependenices on .net framework 2 and it is now no longer installed as part of setup.
- There are new upscaled MAME videos on the srerver, this time with interpolation to 60fps. Upscaled PinballX vertical videos currently processing.
|19th March, 2023 - GameEx 18.38
|In attempt to provide full configuration and access via GameEx Online with the web Setup Wizard for current and future projects the site now allows local directory and file browsing for remote paths. This will be also good for upcoming projects not on windows platforms. I learnt a little about jquery doing this for the popup browser on the site. This change requires an update to the client to work. I also moved back to .net 6 from .net 7. .net 7 actually seemed to perform worse and excluded older windows os versions such as 7. I've also spent some time optimizing gameex.com and pinballx.com on Google page speed insights. So hopefully the sites should perform a little better for you on mobile devices. Note the remote browsing is a little slow as its client server.
|15th January, 2023 - GameEx 18.36
- Filtering Steam games installed is now optional and off by default.
- Upgraded to .net 7 from 6.
- Use the .net 4 version (still supported) for Windows versions below 10 now.
|11th November, 2022 - Thank you.
I decided to go purely donation based a couple of months back. This was mainly due to overwhelming competition which alone I cannot keep up with. The competition is vast ranging from one commercial windows front end to many free RetroPie and Android solutions. I saw the writing on the wall post lockdown and trying to oprerate commercially in this field is a dying business. I believe there will be no succesful commercial front ends of any viabillity in two - three years time. Having said that I feel many still enjoy GameEx and PinballX, and download services and wish me to continue. I also enjoy it very much. Unfortunaly PayPal ditched me the other week. I can only assume they did not like the lose association I have with games and roms. They have the right as a business to serve who they like and from what I read, they do this frequently. Although I provide no illegal content here or anywhere and I pay my taxes.
I have new payment gateway options now and I ask if you enjoy my products and wish to support me you please switch your renewals over. My costs are not insignificant and I do not want to have to provide a lesser service. Thank you so much, Tom.
|8th November, 2022 - GameEx 18.32
For complete MAME list customization if required you can now specify a custom listxml file.
|6th November, 2022 - GameEx 18.31
New and updated HBMAME profile and download.